Q18.05. CLASS J39 0-6-0s AT Cricklewood (14A). In 1950 three ex-LNER class J39 0-6-0s (numbers 64732, 64918/66) were allocated to Cricklewood (14A). There may have been others. Why? What were they used for? (Paul Harrison: 7589)
Regarding Q18.05, information gleaned from the BR Database website shows the following: 64732. Moved to Cricklewood on 15/12/49 from Colwick (38A), having had a general overhaul at Gorton Works from 28/8/49 to 4/11/49. During its time at 14A, it was loaned to Stratford (30A) from 11/3/51 to 1/4/51. It went to Derby Works for overhaul from 28/9/51 to 7/11/51, an unusual place for an ex-LNER loco to go. It moved to Ardsley (37A) on 16/3/52. 64918. Moved to Cricklewood on 14/12/49 from Gorton (39A), having also had a general repair at Gorton Works from 12/9/49 to 5/11/49. It went to Bow Works (the former NLR works) from 5/3/52 to 14/3/52 for a light casual repair. It also moved to Ardsley (37A) on 16 /3/52. 64966. Moved to Cricklewood on 20/1/50 from Gorton (39A), having also had a general overhaul at Gorton Works from 26/9/49 to 26/11/49. It was also loaned to Stratford (30A) from 11/3/51 to 1/4/51. It moved to Ardsley (37A) with the other two on 16/3/52. According to the RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 6A, p.31, they were used mostly on freight trains between Cricklewood yards and Feltham yard on the SW division of BR(SR), the paragraph also stating that 64732 worked a St.Pancras-Tilbury boat train on 12/1/50. No reason is given for why this class of locomotive was chosen. No other J39s went to Cricklewood. Regards Robert Warburton 12759, Peterborough branch.